Best Purchases of my Life
I'm pretty proud of how much work I've put into curating this list of my "Best Purchases". These are all items that bring an insane amount of value to my life and workflow!
My Desk Setup
- Uplift 60x30 Sit-Stand Desk: A huge amount of space to spread out and still have room for random packages, food, or anything else I'm tinkering with at the time. Also, standing is good for you! (Desk mat and standing desk mat come as freebies.)
- Herman Miller Embody: The absolute best chair for working long hours. Comfy enough for those long Netflix binge sessions, but also for when you need to buckle in and handle a SEV.
- Dell U3417W Ultrawide Monitor: Who doesn't love to have 3 windows open at all times?! The standard layout is Slack (33%), a browser (66%). VS Code and iTerm2 in their own dedicated workspaces for all the screen real estate I could want. Paired with the Fully Jarvis Monitor Arm to minimize desk footprint.
- Sony A6500: If I have to join a Zoom link on my laptop, or want to make a particularly crispy impression, I'll join with this as my webcam. Paired with the RODE VideoMicro for audio.
- Samson Q9U: The best USB-C microphone that I've found, which doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
- Bose NC700 Headphones: Not so necessary in the new WFH world, but still unrivaled to strap on for heavy coding sessions.
- Portal+: A dedicated VC machine that provides conference room level noise isolation. (Ditch the headphones!) The camera/mic follow you around so you can be sure your ideas are being heard and seen. I got one for my family at home too, and this makes it super easy to stay connected two states away!
- Moonlander Keyboard: An ergonomic, ortholinear, split, fully-programmable keyboard that eliminated my wrist/finger stress.
- Logitech MX Vertical: The top-of-the-line ergonomic mouse by Logitech that fits my hand like a glove, and destroyed my wrist stress along with the Moonlander.
- Nanami Wireless Charging Stand: I got this for free from our local Buy Nothing group. It plugs into the monitor and makes sure my phone is always ready for a long walk!
- Notion: Probably the most important tool I use day-to-day. I track TODO items for the day, but also meeting takeaways, pain points that I can revisit, my Tiktok content, and even track my habits throughout the year.
- Bowflex Kettlebells (8-40lbs): Working from home made it really hard for me to have the motivation to work out. Having these kettlebells at home have made a world of a difference for me. The weight range is also super flexible.
- Training For Climbing: The climbing training Bible. I read this before my workout, at lunch, or after work as part of "forever improving" at climbing.
- Casper Glow Lights: These are the sleekest pair of sunrise lamps on the market. The moment I used them I deleted all my alarms, waking up to the glow from these lights is so peaceful.
- Vitamin D: Critical in the PNW winters, where the sun sets at 4pm and there are less chances to get Vitamin D naturally from being outdoors.
- Theanine: The most studied drug in conjunction with coffee, theanine completely eliminated the jitters/anxiety you might get from coffee. A critical part of my daily routine!
The Personal Stuff 🎉
- Glasses: I have a nice, cheap pair of glasses. They're the Manchesters from EyeBuyDirect. Probably the best website to buy glasses for cheap, out of pocket.